Monday, June 23, 2008

Prediction

I love to make predictions. Sometimes they are wildly right (I correctly foresaw the Cardinals taking the 2006 World Series even though they stumbled, bumbled and fumbled their way in to post-season that year (remember the Astros closing in fast while the Cardinals reeled?)). But just as often (if not more often), they are stupefyingly wrong: I confidently asserted Marvelous Marvin Hagler would knock out Sugar Ray Leonard in the late '80s. Woops. The worst of all might have been after seeing "Ghost" in a sneak preview (on a double-bill with Days of Thunder, no less). It was a very rare instance of seeing a main Hollywood feature without knowing a gosh-darn thing about it in advance (think about how much you typically know about a movie before plunking down your hard-earned cash at the box office). After seeing that towering pile of junk, I prognosticated (with my usual air of arrogance) to Sharon that it would last all of one weekend (maybe not even a full weekend), then (definitely) straight-to-video and (to a moral certainty) never heard from again. (I still think that's the fate it deserved.) Double woops and a half.

But to get proper credit, I have learned the hard way one must make a prediction in advance--it does not help to say after the fact that you were secretly harboring a premonition of events to come all along (a trick I've tried to no avail).

So, while we learned this weekend from Brian Williams that Tom Brokaw will be helming Meet the Press through the November elections (which has to be a temporary fix), I will make my prediction on the permanent successor to Russert: David Gregory. I think they are grooming him for that spot. I'm not saying I think he's the best or my top choice, necessarily. But I predict he is going to get it. You heard it here, if not first, at least before it was announced.

2 comments:

Barb Adams said...

Further prediction - you are right, it has to be in writing to be legit - Sen. Jim Webb, the big O's Veep choice. I said it back in Jan., but no one except me remembers it.

Martha Endicott said...

I love the prediction thing so will jump in with my two best predictions - both of which go back years and years, of course. The first was back during the Cold War when everyone was shaking in his boots about what the Russians might do and I would say, "Forget Russia. Our next big conflict will be in the Middle East". Dad remembers this although probably he is the only one who does. My other big prediction was that women would eventually be running the country This was back when the women did the weather and the men did the news. But we are definitely headed in that direction now. I realize it is too late to get any credit for these prognostications except from Dad, but hey! You take what you can get.