Friday, July 4, 2008

What's in a name?

What do people call you? I am lucky to have a lot of good ones going right now.
  • Rob
  • Robert
  • Robert (ala Francais: ro-Baire; try rolling the "r" for more fun)
  • Roberto (roll the "r" even harder)
  • Bobby Joe
  • Endicott [often slowly enunciated, with special emphasis on each syllable]
  • Dude [that's what Nathaniel calls me when he's not thinking too hard]
[Yes, Bobby Joe has made it into the list as a permissible iteration.]

I'd even take the Dallas version, how JR Ewing (Larry Hagman) referred to Patrick Duffy's character:

"mmmBobby" (You've got to say the "Bobby" part fast; try it--you can't fail to sound just like JR!)

Just never a "Bob". To paraphase Stewie on Family Guy: "So help me, don't call me 'Bob.' For every time you call me 'Bob,' I shall kill you."

3 comments:

Barb Adams said...

I have come to like my name very well, either Barb or Barbara. In the early sixties, it was fun to be called Barbie (like the doll). But in junior high, I really wished my name was Debbie. All the popular girls seemed to be called Debbie.

Steve Adams said...

What do you call a guy with no arms and legs floating in a pool?

Rob said...

I also like Robbie. I gave Sharon trouble once for spelling it with a "y" (not a good move).

Steve's post does not dignify a response. Like Jim Edmonds.