Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mike Kocour

If you don't know Mike Kocour's piano playing, you have to check it out. A good place to start is at his MySpace page, which is on my sidebar of cool websites.

Within the last couple of days, my ex-roommate from Champaign, Kevin Flanigan (see my original post on "the Scene") mentioned to me in an email that he just thinking about Champaign because he had heard Mike on Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz last weekend, a wonderful nationally syndicated program. Mike is now Director of Jazz Studies at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona, after a long, successful time as one of the leading giggers in Chicago. Kevin points out that you can hear a rebroadcast of it at http://www.michaelkocour.com/.

A Chicago native, Mike was at Illinois at the same time Kevin and I were. Although he was a math major, he was one of a great stable jazz musicians around school at the time. He played in a quartet with Ray Sasaki, our trumpet professor, and Mike was simply amazing. He has a number of recordings out, including some where he is astounding on the Hammond B3 organ. Another stand-out from that group was drummer Jeff Stitely. I can still remember a drum solo during a Ray Band gig at Nature's Table, right across from the Krannert Center, where Kevin and I were hanging listening to Ray's group late in the night and nursing two huge Guinness drafts, when we turned to each other in the same instant --no words were spoken, but we had the same look on our faces: "Did you hear that?!?" Jeff had in the middle of this amazing solo quoted the melody of the tune on the drums. I'll never forget it.

8 comments:

Barb Adams said...

I listened to Mike on your link; he is really good. I wonder if he would ever tour in our vicinity?

Also, I didn't know you were ever a Guinness drinker. We always get weird looks when we order one at Hammerstone's, and last time we were there the guy at the table next to us even asked us how we could drink that awful stuff.

Rob said...

You are correct, but back in the day, I was known to drink a Guinness or two. I used to think I liked dark beer, because I thought it was cool. My tastes have evolved, as well as my self-confidence in knowing what I like.

Matt Farmer said...

I was lucky enough to catch Mike Kocour, Jeff Stitely, Kelly Sill, Akio Sasajima, Joel Spencer, Joan Hickey, and a host of other fine players back in the mid-1980s, when I was an undergrad at Northwestern. These folks played frequently (in various permutations) at Leslee's, a now-defunct Evanston jazz club, where I spent too much time and money.

Nearly twenty years later, when I moved into my West Rogers Park home, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Mr. Stitely and his family were my neighbors. Turns out the fine drummer is also a fine dad and an all-around good guy. (I hope it wasn't my move to the neighborhood that caused him and his family to split for Evanston a couple years later.)

As for other peripatetic musicians, Mike Kocour's move to Arizona may have started a trend. Today's Chicago Tribune reports that pianist/singer Judy Roberts and her husband, saxophonist Greg Fishman, are about to leave Chicago for life in Phoenix. It's a sad state of affairs when there isn't enough work in Chicago to keep these fine players busy.

Rob said...

Thanks for the post, Matt. One other guy I always wonder about on the Chicago scene is saxophonist Kevin Kizer (sp?). He was in the Garv Band (#1 big band) in Champaign as a high schooler. Probably the closest stylistically (back in the '80s) was to Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. If you ever run across him, let me know (I'd be curious to know how he is sounding, if he indeed is still playing).

Matt Farmer said...

I know Mr. Kizer was playing around town with Ted Sirota's Rebel Souls. I don't know whether he is still with that band, which featured some fine musicians.

Kevin said...

Rob, I remember that moment in Jeff's solo as well. Pretty funny that moments like that can stick with you for 25 years, huh?

The blog looks great! You need to post music samples from your band, though...

Rob said...

I put a link to the portion of the Voodoo site that has a little jukebox of the tunes on our CD on my links. Although I have to say that we recorded that CD 18 months ago in a basement recording studio with a lot of bleed. The band is just playing so much better than that now.

Matt Farmer said...

Rob -- basement or no basement, "bleed" or no "bleed," truth is, your own playing is much more together now that you've sworn off mail-order Oxycontin and discovered the writings of L. Ron Hubbard (no relation to Freddie).