Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Scene?

Welcome to my new blog: The Scene. When I was studying trumpet in college at the University of Illinois, my professor, Ray Sasaki, told my best friend and me that we needed to "create a scene" (as distinct from "making a scene", which we were also known to do). And we did--our apartment was a hang-out, party scene and open to anyone who wanted to come and do a "hang"--especially a few beers and listening to a few old jazz sides. One of the more serious considerations at any party was when to bring out the recording (back in the days where it was all vinyl, of course!) of Ella and Duke live at the Cote de Azur, where Ella takes Mack the Knife through a dizzying modulation through nearly all 12 keys--if you put that on too soon, the party peaked too soon--too late, and well you know. But put on at the right time, when the dancing was happening--pure magic!

Hence, the blog title: The Scene

3 comments:

Barb Adams said...

Someone out here is reading your blog; Steve says it is cooler than mine. That is as it should be - musicians just have that innate cool. It's probably tempered somewhat by the day job.

Anyhow, I like it.

Steve Adams said...

I'm diggin' the vibe, kind of Playboy After Dark pipe smoking scene. Am I the last one standing without a blog?

Rob said...

Barb says she has now updated her blog and it is in fact now definitively cooler than mine. She has the advantage of working with (and being married to) someone in the field of visual arts! Blog on!

And Steve, yes, you need to get it in gear.