Monday, December 3, 2007

Football Strangeness

It is strange to have basically all of the Rams home games blacked out. Not that I was watching the games (at least not sitting down to take them in). But it is like there is a pro football season taking place in private this year. Very odd.

And it is strange to have both Mizzou and Illinois heading into bowl season as good, ranked teams. Too bad that Mizzou couldn't pull off the win against Oklahoma, but it was a fun week having them ranked #1. Who would have guessed that the first game of the season between the Illini and the Tigers was matching two pretty darn good teams on the national level--you could have guessed Mizzou, but the Illini?

(Check out the dialog my sis and I are having on her blog (linked at the sidebar). Hopefully I am not putting my standing invitation to Xmas and Thanksgiving at serious risk!)

7 comments:

Barb Adams said...

I was hoping for a Missouri win, just because it would seem so strange. It might have been interpreted as another sign of global warming. But it was not meant to be. As an person who feels like an Illinoisian at heart, I am glad the Illini will be making a bow at the Rose Bowl (just wish old Chief Illiniwek could be with them).

I hope our discussion on my blog is a friendly one! So your invitation is not in danger.

Rob said...

It is a friendly conversation.

I hate the Patriots.

Steve Adams said...

I'm with you man. That Patriots game last night upset me. I turned it on with a few minutes to go, and watched the chances slip through the hands of the Ravens time after time. I couldn't get to sleep.

Martha Endicott said...

All of Carmi is smiling and happy that the Illini will be back in the grandaddy of all bowl games - the Rose Bowl! To all of us old timers that was always the choice spot to be so we will have the popcorn popped and the cokes on ice to sit back and enjoy!

Rob said...

Yes, nice for Illini to have a great year. Steve-o, I too had trouble sleeping after that Pats game--I really really felt bummed out.

Steve Adams said...

Speaking of the Illini, I was watching their b'ball game today, and noticed that during free throws, the players are lining up one block farther from the basket than they used to. This is the first year I've noticed it, and it is happening in every game I watch on tv. I didn't know where else to ask, so I thought I'd start here.

Btw, why does a coach need a whole year off for a divorce? When his wife died he coached all season long.
steve

Rob said...

I don't have answers to either of your questions. I guess I haven't watched enough games to know--maybe guys are overstepping the line and refs are calling it more, so to make up for it they line up further back??. As for the death/divorce thing, I could make a crack, but I can't even think of anything funny to say. (Nathaniel would say something like "Never stopped you before..heh heh heh.")