Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Something Nice (For a Change)

What is the nicest compliment you've ever heard, or better yet, the nicest one you've ever received?

The nicest one I've ever heard was something Gil Evans once said to the great Miles Davis. Gil and Miles collaborated on some outstanding studio recordings for Columbia Records in the late 1950s (Sketches of Spain, Porgy and Bess, e.g.). The arrangements were perfect for Miles. Gil loved Miles' playing, especially his sound. In an interview many years later, Gil recounted that he once said to Miles, "Man, I'm glad you were born." Hands down to me, the greatest compliment I've ever heard.

Someone recently told me, "I'm glad I'm your friend." Period. End of statement. Nothing further. Said with sincerity. Maybe not quite as profound as Gil's statement, but I ain't complaining. That's about as good as it can get in my book.

Be interested to hear from you on this one.

RJE

3 comments:

Steve Adams said...

Good topic. I will never forget my favorite compliment, which came from your Grandad Max. You may recall that I used to do little odd jobs for them around the house when we visited, and one day after I had done something like change light bulbs, he said "You're as smart as two hells"! I have no idea what it means, but I liked it, and have never heard the expression since.
steve

Martha Endicott said...

I like Steve's compliment - it sounds so like my Dad that I can almost hear him saying it. My best compliment wasn't actually verbal. It was when Emily was about 3 years old and we were late getting over for Christmas day. She refused to open her gifts - even those from Santa until Mamaw and Papaw arrived. If that did not say "I love you" what would?
Mom

Rob said...

These are good. Thanks. I was thinking what was it that made the one I described memorable, because it is pretty simple. And it struck me--it was not the words, but the fact nothing was said afterwards. Silence can be powerful. Like a Miles Davis solo--it's the silence in his solos that make them so powerful.

I am going to like this series of entries--it will always make me smile.